Friday, September 13, 2013

QR Codes in the Classroom


Wednesday, September 11 was a special day in many classrooms across the nation. Mrs. Amber Evans made things extra special and engaging in her classroom. Mrs. Evans is a 7th grade Geography teacher at ELC.

She set up a little museum that the students where able to go through. Each station had a QR Code. Students used devices to scan the codes and get more information on the events of September 11, 2001. The students were able to watch videos, listen to radio broadcasts and look at websites to enhance their learning. She also set out books and had the Des Moines Register newspapers available to her students.

What was amazing to watch as these students went through the "museum", was the engagement of the students. 100%! They were engaged and questioning the events that took place. Mrs. Evans facilitated the classroom as the students were active in their learning. One student group read about some events on their device and then raised their hand asking questions to deeper their learning. So cool to see the kids become the owners of their learning.

Not only did was this lesson engaging but it also enhanced the students' learning. They were able to browse the museum and then reflect on their learning.

Are you interested in an activity like this? Let me know I would love to help you out.

Resources:
5 Reasons Why I Love to Use QR Codes..


1 comment:

  1. Jenny-

    Thanks so much for your help and support with the QR Code museum! -Best. Day. Ever! I was so excited I even called my husband on my lunch break to tell him how awesome the lesson went and how engaged the kids were. I had so much fun and am looking forward to doing more with technology in my classroom. If you have any ideas on more ways to integrates technology let me know!

    ReplyDelete